Saturday, August 15, 2009

Sums

I was thinking the other day as I was doing a sum on my Ti-86 calculator from high school (remember how you could hide answers under the 'program' options???). I don't remember what I was adding but it was something like 86+98+34. I forgot to put in the '=' sign and hit 'enter' and it alerted me to an error. The sum doesn't work without the 'equals' sign.

It got me thinking that all the '+' signs didn't mean anything if there was no '=' sign. The point being, if there is no reckoning of all our '+' and '-'s in life, then they really mean nothing; they lose their value because it is precisely the reckoning that gives them value. No analogy is perfect, but I saw some truth in it. That is one reason why I personally can't espouse the atheistic worldview.

No comments:

Post a Comment